Following in the footsteps of Andhra Pradesh, the state government of Goa is now reportedly mulling a blanket ban on the use of social media for children under the age of 16. Goa’s Tourism and IT Minister Rohan Khaunte said that the state government is studying Australia’s recently approved regulatory framework around social media to understand how similar measures can be implemented in the state, as per a report by Reuters. For context, Australia passed the Online Safety Amendment (Social Media Minimum Age) Act last month, imposing a ban on social media usage for users under the age of 16 throughout the country. Under this, social media platforms are tasked with implementing appropriate measures to disallow and deboard such users, while also blocking loopholes that could allow minors to surpass the restrictions. “If possible, we will implement a similar ban on children below 16 for the usage of social media,” the minister said while speaking with reporters on Monday. While Australia has become the first country to enforce such stringent measures against underage use of social media, other countries have also hinted at adopting a similar route to curb such addiction patterns among adolescents. For instance, French lawmakers also approved… Read MoreInc42 Media







